Friday, September 16, 2005

Claremont Graduate University


Some friends have asked me what I am doing now. Did I start my doctoral study yet? So I feel like I was grilled. Actually, I have been accepted into Ph.D Interfield of Politics and Economics at Claremont Graduate University (CGU)since last Spring 2005 but financial problem is a big obstacle for me to continue my study. It would have been no problem for me to study in most public universities across this country where tuition and fees are much cheaper than private university like CGU. So, I decided to defer my admission until I have enough fund to finance my study. Education is a big investment ha! Finally, I did received some source of fellowship, 10% discount per semester. Not that bad for below average student likes me. I could not even dispute what I got from them. But I do hope to get more funds in my second year because I am student of both departments, Economics and Politics and Policy. So far I have saved some money for school and hoped that I can start my program in late January 2006. It means just 4 months left, Hurrah! So let me introduce you my prospective new home.

CGU was founded in 1925 as one of the seven claremont college consortiums. It is classified by The Carnegie Foundation as a extensive doctoral/research university as same as eight UC universities, Stanford University, California Institute of Technology, and University of Southern California (in California only). By its definition, a extensive doctoral/research university is "These institutions typically offer a wide range of baccalaureate programs, and they are committed to graduate education through the doctorate. During the period studied, they awarded 50 or more doctoral degrees per year across at least 15 disciplines."

CGU is located on the east of Los Angeles about 35 miles. Its 19-acre campus is surrounded with beautiful tree lined road. My school, School of Politics and Economics, is well-known for public choice economics or political economy which suits with my goal of career as a political economist. I hope that with active research of faculty members and strong philosophy of the program. I will be equipped with comprehensiv tools to analyze most of social problems and produce more practical work that ordinary people can understand.

I am worried how could I survive with doctorate study but life must go on. I can let it go by doing nothing so I hope that in the next 4-5 years you will recieve my photos under this gown.


Verne Orr,at the age of 88, might be the oldest Ph,D graduate in the nation. He served as president Regan's secretary of the Air Force. This picture he took with Yi Feng, Dean of Department of Politics


Department of Economics and Department of Politics are in the McManus Hall


Honnold Library is available for all Claremont Students


Scripps College is the woman's college. Sorry guys! you are not welcome. It is famous for Liberal Arts


This year, U.S. News 2006 ranks Pomona College in 6th Liberal Arts College nationwide.


Another high reputation school, Pitzer College


Claremont McKenna College is ranked 10th best college this year.


If Scripps College is for girls, Harvey Mudd College might be for guys

3 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with the PhD ! i'm sure u'll enjoy it..

and also thanks for linking my blog to yours.. i just found that out a few minutes ago..

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger The Iconoclast's Journey said...

Thank you wa dude ! I have read your blog for a while but i do not leave any trace on your blog. So, I think we should unite our cupglass and update. Would you please add me on your MSN? My e-mail is suppaleuk@hotmail.com

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, Congratulation my friend, you can get your dream at the nice school (Spain Style). I have my professor "Proadpran Pitsatorn". She graduated PhD. from CGU for two years ago. Maybe she will suggest you anything with CGU. her mail is proadpran.p@chula.ac.th

Good luck with PhD. my friend...Sarun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home